Monday, 1 July 2013

New project

New blade, new fabrics, cleared sewing space...

That must mean a NEW PROJECT!!!

The sewing space needed an overhaul for a while now, but it took the urgent need to start a new project to actually clear the sewing table in my "sewing corner" of all (sewing related) clutter. So now there is space again for the sewing machine.

And then there were these fabrics:




They were bought in my "L"QS ("local" here meaning 1 hour 15 minutes drive away) in the winter sale exactly for this project, but I have been thinking about it this long to decide what exactly to do with them.

Suddenly on Friday evening I found myself getting a sharp blade and cutting strips. And sub-cutting strips. The decision was made! 

Saturday was a busy day with lovely weather and loads of jobs, so no sewing. 

However, I was not to be stopped. Sunday's weather encouraged the midges, so after a while outside I felt I should escape inside and have some sewing therapy:




Then this morning I have been auditioning several options of how to progress. Sashing or no sashing? And how wide? Do I have enough fabric for a border? And what kind of border? How big should the quilt be eventually?



This is a familiar stage of a quilt for me: I usually start with an idea or even a complete plan, but it seldom ends up exactly as first planned. The plan gets changed and tweaked depending on the look at each stage and the amount of fabrics left for the remaining areas.

But I've made my decisions now. The calculator says I can do it the way I want (for now; there is still room to change my mind on a few details) with the remaining fabrics. So more strips have been cut. And will be sewn. With a bit of luck (read: sewing time) the quilt top will be finished in the next few days.



Sandra

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...