Thursday, 5 September 2013

Going Random on Thursday...

I am really enjoying the random posts that appear on Thursdays, so I have to try it myself, too, of course...

Whether I am sewing, reading or working at the computer it's usually not long before I make myself a cup of tea. So my first "random" has to start with a cup of tea...



Of course the British are well known for their love of a cuppa, but the first Europeans to "discover" tea in East Asia were in fact the Portuguese. However it was the Dutch who brought it to Europe in 1610.



Tea didn't arrive in England until the 1650's, though it was still extremely rare and expensive at first. Only in the mid 1700's tea became popular and cheap enough to replace gin as the drink of the poor.


Probably not the way gin was drunk in those days...
Tea bags were a more modern invention from America in the early 1800's, initially made to hold samples of teas brought from India.


I grew up drinking my tea weak and without milk, but these days my tea is (somewhat) stronger and I always add a drop of milk.

How do you drink yours?

Linking up with



Next time a sewing post (hopefully soon).


Sandra




1 comment:

Lynz said...

Gin was the forerunner of a cuppa? Geez, I didn't know that! I had to go back to drinking tea a few years ago coz my innards have taken a dislike to coffee (drat!) but for 20 odd years I've drunk it black with 2 sugars. And not too strong!