Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Trying again...

Looking back through my blog posts, I am surprised to even see a post in August at all, it feels as if I have been in "non-posting" mode for months...

But here I am again, and with a quilting story, though there is not all that much achieved or finished!!
You may remember this quilt top:


It "only" needed quilting...
So after I received my backing fabric it got pin basted:


As I had seen several quilts with spiral quilting and really like the effect, I thought (innocently?) I'd do that. And it worked brilliantly:


My spiral looked lovely, UNTIL:

Can you see it??


PUCKERS!!
And while I was considering what to do about that, I realised something else...

Usually with spiral quilting the start is the most awkward, being in the centre of the quilt where not only a large part of the quilt needs to be accommodated under the arm of the machine, but the circles are rather tightly curved. As the spiral progresses (and if you go the right way round) you get further away from the centre, the manoeuvring of the quilt gets less cumbersome and the curves become more gentle.

Only I was NOT planning on doing the usual thing (I usually don't...): I had planned to do a spiral IN EACH CUBE, with the centre square of the cube as the centre of each spiral. Now it dawned on me that that would mean I'd have to wrestle the whole quilt width (and worst: the whole quilt length!!) through the arm of the machine at some point!!! As well as starting with very tight curves 12 times over...

So the whole exercise led to this:


I unpicked my spiral, lesson learned! (I may try again, though... I still like it)

The quilt has been basted again, after some more rigorous stretching of the layers, and new quilting plans have been made and started... No spirals on this quilt!!

Linking up with:

 

5 comments:

Anthea said...

Oh No!! Sandra, what a pain! I am sure you will not be beaten, and the quilting will end up looking fab... hang in there!! x

made by ChrissieD said...

Dropping by from Freemotion By The River - what a great lesson for us all, thanks for sharing :)

Catrin Lewis said...

Wwww. See this is why I'm scared of spirals!

Janine said...

The spirals do look great but it sounds more of an ordeal than I'd thought about before...I'm looking forward to seeing how you do quilt this lovely top :)

Connie said...

What a neat quilt and the spirals look great on it. Removing stitching isn't the most fun but is worth it. Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday