Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Strips, scraps and strings - and happy mail


At our latest course weekend, we have been working with strips and scrap strings.

The strip work was all about using strips and strip sets to put blocks together. Some lovely blocks were made and different layouts tested...


... as well as border possibilities...


Then there were the possibilities offered by half square triangles cut from two different (2 strip) strip sets:

double pinwheel

For these the cutting of mirror images had me confused for a while, so I ended up with way more triangles than initially intended...

Which were then made into these lovely variations. I love tem even better than the original blocks!

pin wheel variations
In the last post I showed you a quilt made from scrap strips. The scraps in that quilt were of course bought together and were undoubtedly from one range of fabrics, which made it look very coordinated.

This time our baskets of scraps (for me a more ordinary, but overflowing, large shoe box) were coming out for some string piecing:

string pieced squares with red in the centre

In both versions red has been used as the unifying colour.
 
spider web triangles

Unfortunately, it will be a while before I have enough time to make more of these blocks so that I can make them into proper quilts. There is so much to work on - and hopefully finish in the not too far future - that I haven't even been able to make a proper list of it all. Has anybody found a way to increase the hours in a day?!

Last - but definitely not least - I got Happy Mail!! It made my (too short) day...

Late September I won at Kathy of Kayak Quilting's 100th blog post. 

The mail took a while. So long in fact that I was no longer sitting behind the letter box waiting for it to arrive, so I got a note to say that a package would be at the sorting office. - They are good at keeping you in suspense, not saying who or even where it is from. But I do not get packages that often, so I did get my hopes up! - I was all excited when I went to collect it today, and rightly so:

a lovely Mama Said Sew jelly roll

you see that nice swirl?!
Isn't it lovely?! I have it sitting right in the middle of my sewing corner where I see it every time I am passing, and my mind is whirring with ideas of what to make with it... Mmmmm, decisions, decisions...

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Kathy!

I better do some feeding, before I get complaints...


Sandra

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...