Thursday, 27 February 2014

Bag - CHECK!

It's been a long time coming, but finally it really is completely done. It is the second ITEM for the City and Guilds course, and this time it is a bag:


It all began last year with a visit to the Barbara Hepworth museum in St Ives in Cornwall. I loved seeing her work, displayed both inside her home and studio, and in the sculpture garden. As well as taking loads of photographs in the garden, I picked up a few postcards with photographs of sculptures  that were displayed inside (where you were not allowed to take photographs). I loved a lot of the work, but my very favourite piece is called "Pelagos" and I just HAD to use it as my inspiration for one of my course items.

Pelagos is almost perfectly spherical, but I wanted my bag to be a travel bag, so the final shape became more oblong; a rectangle with very rounded corners, and a bit wider at the bottom than at the top for balance. Pelagos is a glowing brown wood on the outside, with white on the inside surfaces, so I had to use brown, and add some glow to the colouring, too. And the strings became stripes, both pieced into the brown, and in the straight line quilting of some of the panels.

I've been working on this for a good while, on and off, but you'll be relieved that I don't intend to bore you describing all the details. I'll let the pictures do the talking:

marking the shapes



pieced panel (x2)


straight line quilting


free motion quilting


inside pocket


handle tabs



I think I may have to plan a trip now...
Sandra
Linking up with Lily's Quilts for Fresh Sewing Day and, because my little blog has not that many followers (though each one is much appreciated!), also with Small Blog Meet:
Lily's Quilts
Lily's Quilts
And also with Sew Cute Tuesday at Blossom Heart Quilts:
Sew Cute Tuesday

4 comments:

Anthea said...

Hi Sandra - wow this bag is really very wonderful - so much work & careful construction... congrats it's just gorgeous!
Go plan that trip, LOL x

Jo said...

Wonderful, so colourful and I like all your quilting choices for the different sections. :-)

Hilary Florence said...

Very impressive piecing. Good luck with the C&G

ipatchandquilt said...

I am impressed by your bag! It is so original!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com