Recently, I have been trying hard to use up some of my fabrics (and other craft items) in an effort to reduce "my bits" that are spread all over the house these days. Then I received some fabric samples that the owner no longer knew what to do with. I simply cannot say NO to any fabric! The only way I could justify this was to start making with them as soon as possible.
Some of the pieces had been sewn into long strips, but I had a different idea, so I unpicked the seams. Don't you HATE using the seam ripper?! It was done very quickly though.
After separating them, I cut the pieces into equal squares, and then halved them again into brick shapes. Sorting them into sets of four, I sewed them into pouch panels, adding some black from one of my boxes:
With just black and white I found them a little uninspiring, so I decided to add something colourful. First of all I started some embroidery. Small buttons, a red perle and an evening in front of the fire later these flowers had been added:
It looks lovely, but not as colourful as I thought it would be. So out came pencil and paper, iron-on adhesive, and some cheerful batiks. A session on the sewing machine turned out this little creature and its brothers/sisters:
I just love the quirky effect of the colourful geckos on the stark black and white background. I'll be turning these in some practical pouches now.
Linking up with Archie the Wonder Dog at "Mini Archie's January Furtle Around The Blogosphere". If you want to know what that is all about, click on the link or on the button (image) below:
That is it for today, I have pouches to finish!