Monday, 4 April 2016

Fingerless Gloves - A Finish

- This is a finishalong post -
If you want to see an overview of all my finishes (and non-finishes) in the first quarter of 2016, see my overview post.
My original goal setting post can be found HERE.

In January I posted a not so flattering image of the fingerless gloves I had in progress. I was entering it in the Finishalong, with the aim of getting it finished in the first three months of the year... and I did!


I had never managed to knit an item in the round before, though I tried a few times. This time was different.

First of all I came across a mention of "Continental knitting". After some investigation (see this post from Sarah of Crafts from the Cwtch for a comprehensive explanation and more links) I found that I was an English knitter. Who knew?! I started knitting the Continental way, and my hands and wrists can cope so much better with this technique and I have a lot more control. No matter that I am still quite a slow knitter, I put that down to my inexperience...

Secondly, I found very short flexible needles. The length is just right for knitting socks or - you guess it - gloves and wrist warmers. No more struggle to keep control of four double pointed knitting needles!

Then I read Lynz' post on Susie Rogers' Reading Mitts and I decided I wanted to make a pair. All set with some wool and the flexible needle(s) I started in December 2015.

Then in January, after the mention of this project in the Finishalong goal setting post, I got a date for an operation on my hand. Knowing that I would not fit my hand into ordinary gloves while being bandaged up, I had an extra incentive to finish these. I'd be needing them to keep my hands warm!

And so they did:

I knitted them in a thinner wool than the pattern called for (I used what I had), which suited the needles better, too. To make up for it I knitted the largest size, though I think I could have gotten away with the middle size. I am a rather loose knitter... I also added two extra stitches when starting the rows for the thumb and this was a good choice.
I used the flexible needle for the main glove, the thumbs had to be knitted with DPNs, but since there were so few stitches for that it was not really a problem.
The edging turns out lovely and was very easy to do.

I could even see myself making another pair in thicker wool, to keep my hands even toastier next winter!



Linking up with #2016FAL:

2016 FAL

Sandra

3 comments:

Anthea said...

They're beautiful Sandra - & so useful too!

Jennie {Clover and Violet} said...

These are cute! I love how they turned out! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

Lara B. said...

Those are so lovely Sandra! Sounds like you found the perfect fit in technique and needles too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...